Kellie Travers-Stafford provided "Love What Matters"

15-Year-Old With Peanut Allergy Dies After Eating Chips Ahoy Cookie

Mom is calling on Chips Ahoy to add more warning labels to packaging.

July 17, 2018 - 6:04 pm
Categories: 

The parents of a 15-year-old who died after eating a Chips Ahoy cookie are warning the public about food labels.

Alexi Stafford had a peanut allergy. She didn't realize a Chips Ahoy cookie had pieces of Reese's Peanut Butter cups inside when she ate one at a friend's house. 

"She went into Anaphylactic shock, stopped breathing and went unconscious. We administered 2 epi pens while she was conscious and waited on paramedics for what felt like an eternity," Alexi's mother, Kellie Travers-Stafford, writes.

Alexi went into shock and died within 1-and-a-half hours of eating the cookie.

Now, Kellie Travers-Stafford is calling on Chips Ahoy and other manufacturers to add more warning labels to their packaging. She says Alexi thought the cookie was safe because it was in a red package just like other "safe" cookies.

"A small added indication on the pulled back flap on a familiar red package wasn’t enough to call out to her that there was ‘peanut product’ in the cookies before it was too late," she writes, noting that the company has different colored packaging indicating chunky, chewy and regular cookies.

Chips Ahoys' parent company, Mondelez International, says it is "saddened" by the situation, but says their products are clearly labeled for major food allergens.

Alexi's mom says it's not enough.