Close up of charcoal grill

Dreamstime.com

Charcoal Grill Embers Cause St. Peters House Fire

Fireworks aren't the only fire threat this time of year.

July 06, 2018 - 12:50 pm
Categories: 

ST. PETERS, Mo. (KMOX) - An early morning house fire in St. Peters is prompting fire officials to issue a warning about using barbecue grills on decks.
 
Neighbors woke up residents of a home on Gary Glen Drive just before 4 a.m. Friday, after seeing their deck in flames.
 
No one was hurt, but the fire caused over $5,000 in damage.
 
It was determined the family had used a charcoal grill on the deck Thursday night.

"The coals had not been extinguished after their cooking," Central County Asst. Fire Chief Steve Brown says. "The grill was on a wood deck. The embers flew out and got onto the deck and started a fire."

Brown says ashes from grills and firepits can stay hot enough to start a fire for three days after the flames are extinguished. 

He recommends that if you use a charcoal grill, keep it at least 6 feet away from anything combustible, and when you're done, close all the vents.