Jason Stockley has his picture taken after Judge Tim Wilson declared the former St. Louis police officer not guilty of first-degree murder in the 2011 shooting death of Anthony Lamar Smith on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017.

(Photo by Cristina M. Fletes/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/TNS/Sipa USA)

Family of Anthony Lamar Smith Demands $5 Million in Damages

When Stockley was later charged with murder in the case, court documents mentioned DNA evidence not disclosed to the Smith family attorneys.

August 20, 2018 - 8:37 am
Categories: 

ST. LOUIS (KMOX/AP) - The family of a man shot and killed by former St. Louis police officer Jason Stockley in 2011 is demanding $5 million. 

A lawyer for the relatives of Anthony Lamar Smith said Sunday that the money would resolve claims that officials were involved in a "cover-up" of misconduct before and after the settlement of their wrongful death lawsuit. 

The original suit was settled for $900,000 in 2013. 

When Stockley was later charged with murder in the case, court documents mentioned DNA evidence not disclosed to the Smith family attorneys.

Stockley was acquitted last year, which sparked months of protests throughout St. Louis.

City Counselor Julian Bush said Sunday that he hadn't yet seen the family's demand letter, but was aware that there had been a failure to turn over evidence in the case, the AP reports.