Ballwin Police Officer Michael Flamion Celebrates 2nd "Alive Day"

Brett Blume
July 16, 2018 - 4:00 am

(KMOX/Brett Blume)


BALLWIN, Mo. (KMOX) -  It's been just over two years since Ballwin police officer Michael Flamion was shot during a routine traffic stop which resulted in him being paralyzed from the neck down.


Late last year he and his wife Sarah moved into their new state-of-the-art smart home, not far from the Ballwin police station where Flamion used to report for work every day.


It's that close proximity that allows Flamion to still see his fellow officers on a regular basis.


"They stop by quite a bit actually," he explains. "When my crew goes on nights we usually have a 'Going back to nights' party. They come up and play a little bit of poker at the house, hang out for a little bit. They get to stop by pretty frequently."


As for the home itself, Flamion demonstrates how Alexa can help him operate all aspects of its operation.


"Everything's run through Alexa so I can turn on and off the TV, and the lights, I can open doors," he points out. "I can also turn off and on my computer. It's actually pretty impressive."


Wide halls, bigger bathrooms and no carpeting are all special features designed to aid him get around in his wheelchair.

(KMOX/Brett Blume)

The home was built by the Gary Sinise Foundation, which usually reserves this kind of thing for wounded military veterans.


But they made an exception upon learning about Flamion's situation.


"And (Sinise's) Foundation is just absolutely incredible," according to Flamion. "We've spoken with Gary several times on the phone ahd he's just the nicest guy you could ever want to meet. We're absolutely blessed that they stepped in."


His wife Sarah is sitting nearby with their rambunctious puppy Capone, and she weighs in on what she calls their "life-changing" ordeal.


"Any plans we had haved changed," she says. "But you know that's not necessarily a bad thing. You just get a new direction and push that way. The support for us from the police department, from the community, everywhere we go around here everyone is smiling, wanting to say 'Hi', checking on us."


What is Michael Flamion's advice to anyone considering a career in law enforcement?


"Well just be prepared, you know, because anything can happen," he responds. "Obviously it's kind of few and far between that something to this extent happens, although it's getting quite a bit more common now."


July 8th marked the second anniversary of what Flamion refers to as his "accident" -- and he now identifies that date as his "Alive Day".