Soccer or football cleats in grass

Dreamstime.com

Ladue Soccer Parents Drop Lawsuit But Fight Isn't Over

Earlier this month, a judge refused to force the school to put the teen on the JV team while the lawsuit proceeded. 

October 11, 2018 - 8:05 am
Categories: 

LADUE, Mo. (AP) - A lawsuit over a 16-year-old boy who didn't make a suburban St. Louis soccer team has been dismissed but the legal wrangling isn't over.

The student's mother and stepfather said Wednesday in dismissing the suit that they are focusing for now on a separate civil rights complaint that's been referred to mediation.

Related story: Ladue Argues Against Angry Soccer Mom: High School Sports is a Privilege

The lawsuit said that the boy, identified as John Doe, didn't make the varsity soccer team at Ladue Horton Watkins High School, and was barred from returning to the junior varsity team because younger players are given precedence. His family alleged discrimination, noting that the school lets female juniors play on the girls' junior varsity team.

Earlier this month, a judge refused to force the school to put the teen on the JV team while the lawsuit proceeded. 

The attorney for the student's mom, Edwin Ernst IV argued that the cut was based on age discrimination.

"When I first talked to the client, I thought, 'Well gee, don't we hear this all the time," Enst says. "Kid getting cut from a team because they're not good enought, but when I talked to her more I learned this was a different case."

Ernst, who is also the student's stepfather, says the student was told by the coach, he was "qualified based on his performance" and was "on the bubble" to make the varsity squad. But the coach told the student he wasn't allowing Juniors to play on the JV team.