Alleged Brutal Rapist May Have More Victims

Police urging other victims of Shawn Hughes to come forward.

Brian Kelly
March 30, 2018 - 12:37 pm

St. Louis County Police photo

Categories: 

OVERLAND, Mo. (KMOX) - Investigators believe the ex-con in custody for raping and shooting a woman earlier this month has raped other women in the past, and they're asking for his victims to come forward.

Shawn Hughes, 36, is charged with rape, assault, armed criminal action, unlawful firearm possession and tampering with evidence for the attack on March 21. Police say after raping the woman, he shot her eight times. She survived and is in stable condition.

Hughes was released from prison in October, after serving six years for kidnapping and raping a woman in north St. Louis. In that case, he pleaded guilty to felonious restraint after rape. Sodomy and kidnapping charges were dropped in a plea deal with St. Louis city prosecutors. 

St. Louis County Police say that since his release, Hughes has stayed in the 2400 block of Silkwood Drive in Overland, where the recent rape ocurred. He worked at a business in the Valley Park area and frequented Brooklyn, Illinois, nightclubs.

Officer Benjamin Granda says Hughes has indicated he has more victims.

"He's made references to them," he says. "I don't know if I would call them admitting anything, but certainly references to other violent incidents." 

Hughes is being held on $500,000 cash-only bond, which Granda says should make his victims feel comfortable coming forward.

"If there are other victims out there, they are safe to contact us and provide us with a story. He's not getting out soon." 

Anyone with information on past cases is asked to call the lead investigator in the case at 314-615-8694.

Follow KMOX News on Twitter @kmoxnews

Follow Brian Kelly on Twitter @brpkelly