Suspect charged with first-degree murder for death of St. Louis officer

Kinworthy, 43, was taken into custody Sunday morning after an 11-hour standoff inside a home that he broke into and ordered the family out.

Sam Masterson
September 01, 2020 - 1:20 pm

ST. LOUIS (KMOX)  – The man arrested for the shooting death of 29-year-old St. Louis Metropolitan Police officer Tamarris T. Bohannon has been charged with first-degree murder. 

St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner's Office issued charges against Thomas Kinworthy, 43, of Owensville Missouri for first-degree murder in the first degree, first-degree assault of a law enforcement officer, first-degree burglary, three counts of armed criminal action, resisting/interfering with arrest, and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Listen Live Now on KMOX-AM

Related: Funeral arrangements announced for St. Louis police officer killed in line of duty

Bohannon – known as "Bo" to those in his squad – was shot in the head with a 9mm semi-automatic handgun by Kinworthy, according to a probable cause statement.

Kinworthy, 43, was taken into custody Sunday morning after an 11-hour standoff inside a home that he broke into and ordered the family out. He remains in custody with no bond allowed.

Kinworthy, Thomas
(St. Louis Police)
The probable cause statement says two people who lived in a home on Hartford Street had called police for a shooting in the alley. While on the phone with the dispatcher, the suspect entered the home and ordered the two to hang up. They were able to escape out the back door.  

Bohannon arrived and was shot in the head. Other officers arrived and as one was trying to take cover behind a car, was shot in the leg from a second-floor window.

The suspect was found armed with a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun in the second floor after an 11-hour standoff. His mug shot shows a swollen, black and blue nose and cuts on the suspects face.

Just a few days ago, Kinworthy didn't show up at a Florida court in a sexual battery and kidnapping case.

Thomas Kinworthy probable cause statement by EntercomSTL on Scribd

Bohannon, 29, had been with the department for 3 1/2 years. He and another officer were shot when responding to a call about a reported shooting victim in the South Grand neighborhood near Tower Grove Park. The second officer was shot in the leg, then treated at a hospital and released. 

Related: 'His life will be honored': Backstoppers to assist family of St. Louis police officer shot, killed

One of two St. Louis Police officers shot Saturday has died and the suspect is in custody.

The officers were “trying to do their job, that’s all they’re trying to do and they’re suffering under gunfire,” Hayden said, adding that the incidents are part of “a surge in violence” this summer. He asked residents to pray for the officers.

Hayden said eight of his officers have been shot in the line of duty since June 1.

“We’re trying to cope through a very trying summer, and it’s very difficult. It’s very difficult,” he said.

*This story has been edited to correct a misused word in the third paragraph. An earlier version said, "his 9mm..." in reference to the weapon used to kill the officer. That unintentionally caused confusion and therefore was changed to "a 9mm.*

© 2020 KMOX (Entercom). All rights reserved